Alberta Force Free Alliance
Saturday November 2 2019 10:00am to 2:00pm - Seminar "Why Force Free?" This fun and informative seminar is open to the public and will go over the researched and documented science as to why a force free and non-fear inducing approach to dog training and handling is recommended, as well as what the Alberta Force Free Alliance is and does. We will discuss and demonstrate force free ways to deal with common training concerns.This 1/2 day class meets the educational requirement for some applicants shown on the criteria page. *The proceeds of this seminar will be donated to the Lacombe Paws R Us Canine 4-H Group and Old Macdonald Kennels
Cost: $20.00 per person
Location: Lacombe Agricultural Society Pavilion, 4210 - 58 Street, Lacombe, AB
Sunday November 24 2019 10:00am to 2:00pm - Seminar "Why Force Free?" This fun and informative seminar is open to the public and will go over the researched and documented science as to why a force free and non-fear inducing approach to dog training and handling is recommended, as well as what the Alberta Force Free Alliance is and does. We will discuss and demonstrate force free ways to deal with common training concerns.This 1/2 day class meets the educational requirement for some applicants shown on the criteria page.
Cost: $20.00 per person
Location: Lethbridge, Perfect Pooches Dog Training in Coalhurst, AB (92082 range road 224 (102.77 mi)
***PLEASE READ***Why Force Free seminar registration. This is a two-step process and we need both steps to be completed for your registration to be complete and a seat to be held. 1) Complete your name, email address, and type in the message box which location/date of Why Force Free seminar you are registering for and click on the purple register button. 2) You will then need to click on the Buy Now Button to Pay for the Seminar
There are great courses that people who work with dogs can take at any time in order to gain an education in and a better understanding of how to work in a more force-free and fear-free manner with dogs. Although things are slowly changing in the dog training world, things are still very far behind in the wolrd of grooming and husbandry, veterinary practices, kennels, etc. Here is a recommended course you and your staff/volunteers may be interested in.
Creating the Pet-Friendly Hospital, Animal Shelter, or Petcare Business DVD (https://drsophiayin.com/product/creating-pet-friendly-lecture/)
Many pets arrive at hospitals, shelters, and groomers afraid and confused. Careless or unskilled handling of these animals can often lead to negative consequences such as:
· Dog and cat bites and scratches (the top cause of worker compensation claims in veterinary hospitals and shelters).
· “Difficult” pets are time consuming to treat.
· Clients lose confidence in petcare professionals they see struggling to control their pets.
· Hospital staff may unknowingly send animals away medically improved, but behaviorally worse.
o This can leave patients more fearful of veterinary visits, or even more fearful of people in general.
But it doesn’t have to be this way!
The Creating a Pet-Friendly Hospital, Animal Shelter, or Petcare Business DVD teaches you how to enhance your practice by making dogs and cats feel secure both on the ride to the hospital, in the waiting room, in the exam room, and during treatments. Through Dr. Yin’s lectures you’ll gain confidence in your handling skills, increase credibility with your clients, and establish a more caring connection with your patients.
· Learn how to greet pets appropriately.
· Learn how to handle pets with finesse instead of force.
· Learn how to recognize when pets are fearful and about to bite.
· Learn how to understand what you inadvertently may be doing to increase their fear.
· Learn techniques to train animals to enjoy procedures they once feared.
This DVD can also assist Rescue staff dealing with scared dogs and cats to help make their transition back to a normal life a lot easier!
· Recognizing Brewing Fear and Aggression in Dogs and Cats (Module 1 of the full Certification program)
· Rapid Reversal of Fear and Aggression in Dogs and Cats (Module 2 of the full Certification program)
· Low Stress Handling and Restraint of Difficult Dogs and Cats (Module 3 of the full Certification program)
Desensitization & Counterconditioning: Teaching Dogs to Willingly Accept Medical Procedures DVD - Part 3 of 3 (https://drsophiayin.com/product/desensitization-and-counterconditioning-teaching-dogs-to-willingly-accept-medical-procedures/)
Discover how to use science behind learning to teach pets to enjoy an array of handling procedures.
In the first 2 parts of this series you’ve learned how to greet and approach correctly, provide clear direction, and handle and adjust your technique with skill. In this final lab, Dr. Sophia Yin – veterinarian, animal behaviorist, and author – teaches you how to use desensitization and counterconditioning to help pets enjoy a variety of medical and husbandry procedures. Once you understand general concepts and important points – staying below threshold, awareness of treat choice, clear movement, timing – you’ll be able to adapt to any situation you come across.
· Lab 4: Desensitization and Counterconditioning: Teaching Dogs to Willingly Accept Medical Procedures (Module 10 of the full Certification Program)
Master Class Collection:
· Part 1: Handling, Moving, and Restraining Dogs in Stressful Environments
o A Workshop on Essential Exercises with Special Techniques for Medium and Large Dogs
· Part 2: Handling, Moving, and Restraining Small and Medium-sized Dogs with Skill and Ease
· Part 3: Desensitization & Counterconditioning: Teaching Dogs to Willingly Accept Medical Procedures (this DVD)
Handling, Moving & Restraining Dogs in Stressful Enviroments (for Medium & Large Dogs) DVD – Part 1 of 3 (https://drsophiayin.com/product/handling-moving-and-restraining-dogs-in-stressful-environments-part-1/)
Discover how Low Stress Handling™ can dramatically lower stress in the dogs under your care!
Whether you’re a veterinarian, veterinary technician, trainer, groomer, or pet owner, every interaction you have with a dog affects them. With your movements, touch, and tone of voice, you can confuse them … or you can direct and guide them clearly. You can increase their uncertainty and fear … or you can increase their confidence in you. In these two fascinating hands-on labs, Dr. Sophia Yin – veterinarian, animal behaviorist, and author – teaches you to handle, move, and restrain dogs of all sizes and personalities using the techniques of Low Stress Handling™. Step by step, Dr. Yin demonstrates how to give confident, clear direction and guidance with every interaction, resulting in dogs that trust you rather than fight you.
· Lab 1: Essential Exercises for Moving Dogs from Place to Place (Module 7 of the full Certification program)
· Lab 2: Handling and Restraining Medium-sized & Large Dogs with Skill and Ease (Module 8 of the full Certification program)
Handling Moving & Restraining Small & Medium-sized Dogs with Skill and Ease DVD – Part 2 of 3 (https://drsophiayin.com/product/handling-moving-and-restraining-small-and-medium-sized-dogs-with-skill-and-ease-2/)
Learn how using Low Stress Handling™ techniques can decrease stress and increase cooperation in your patients!
Every time you interact with your canine patients you’re telling them something with your body language. With your movement, touch, and tone of voice you can confuse them … or you can direct and guide them clearly. You can increase their uncertainty and fear … or you can increase their confidence in you. Dr. Sophia Yin teaches you how to handle, move, and restrain small and medium-sized dogs using Low Stress Handling™ techniques. Understand how to give clear and concise signals to your patients by handling them with Dr. Yin’s techniques. You’ll find your patients are more likely to trust that you can guide them, resulting in more willing and happy patients and clients!
Included Presentation: · Lab 3: Handling and Restraining Small and Medium-sized Dogs with Skill and Ease (Module 9 of the full Certification program)