Join the Alberta Force Free Alliance!
Becoming an Alberta Force Free Alliance member is a commitment to using force free handling and training methods in all aspects of your business. By joining, you are pledging that you and your staff will not intentionally harm or intimidate any animal in your care and will update your education in scientifically based, force free methods for companion animals.
All members must electronically sign our pledge and continue to operate as force free businesses for the duration of their membership. Members are expected to maintain professional conduct with their peers and clients. Specific requirements for approval are listed below. Once approved, you will be invoiced for your annual membership fee. The cost of membership varys based on which level of membership you choose and renewal dates are the 1st of January.
Behaviour Consultants & Trainers
Day Care/Kennel/Dog Walker
As an approved member of the Alberta Force Free Alliance, I pledge that I and my employees/volunteers are educated in or will upgrade our education through the AFFA in the latest science-based, force free methods for companion animals.
We will not intentionally harm or intimidate any animal in our care. This includes: alpha rolling, pinning, yelling, poking, scruffing, leash jerks, flooding, or the use and promotion of alpha based methodology. Aversive equipment such as, choke/prong/e-collars, electric fences, or ultrasonic bark deterrents are NOT acceptable equipment, as outlined by the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior. We will not promote trainers and other businesses who use and adhere to alpha-based and/or aversive methodologies.
We will treat all clients and staff with the same compassion, care, and understanding with which we treat animals.
FORCE FREE: 95% of the methods utilized with companion animals do not utilize positive punishment (anything that intentionally causes fear, harm or pain). The remaining 5% accounts for emergency situations where an animal or person could be hurt as a result, and an aversive technique may be the only way to prevent immediate harm, e.g.: a day care using a horn or fight board to break up a dog fight.